[aklug] Re: yet another rant: ACS - 1 for 3, better than was expecting, actually

From: Lee <lee@afabco.org>
Date: Mon Dec 06 2010 - 21:09:27 AKST

So a bit of a followup.

Turns out the hit in my bandwidth may be the wire or the receptacle in my house.

Having a conversation with one of the telecom guys. He says 'check your house wire'.

"Yer kiddin, right?", says I. "Having a little fun with the newb...?" says I.

"Not at all", he says, "I'd check it out at the demarc first", he says. So I did. And
now I owe him a beverage of his choice.

If I plug the DSL modem directly into the demarc, speedtest shows the connection works
as advertised. If I use the house wire, there's 150-250K hit. And it's repeatable.

So I owe ACS an apology and in all fairness give them 2 for 3. Although I'm still going
to give some constructive criticism of their website. From the Cantankerous
TechnoCurmudgeonly point of view.

And then prep to spend a bit of time maybe rescrewing down the wires in the demarc and
receptacles. Maybe use 'real' phone wire (the 4/22 stuff) instead of cat5? Although
that's sure counterintuitive. Any other thoughts anyone?