[aklug] Re: Silent box

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Sat Dec 04 2010 - 08:46:53 AKST

On Saturday 04 December 2010, Scott A. Johnson elucidated thus:
> Folks,
>
> Looking for feedback/recommendations/reviews of any small form factor
> PCs that are *quiet*. As in, almost no fans quiet. If it has no
> fans (I know many solutions exist with no-fans) that would be great
> but is not required so long as it can run without me hearing it from
> a couple feet away. Don't need a lot of expandability, just an
> Ethernet port (extra plus if multiple Ethernet ports). My plan for
> this box is to be a headless web server who's hardware is compatible
> with most major distros, though I will probably go with a Debian or
> Ubuntu flavor. Willing to build the box myself if necessary, but
> willing to buy from an online shop too if reputible. Looking to
> spend ~$350'ish.

Polywell <http://www.polywell.com/us/index.asp> has several fanless
systems. Their site is a little hard to navigate, but their sales
people are helpful (if a little slow to respond).

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0x73B13B6A