[aklug] Re: FriLinux

From: Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Nov 22 2010 - 13:54:56 AKST

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com> wrote=
:
> I got 1280x1024 MJPEG video chat working the other day. =A0Required 10mbi=
t :) Most UVC video
> cameras will let you receive a MJPEG stream encoded on the camera.. then =
you just run
> gstreamer or VLC to do the rest. =A0I wouldn't recommend transcoding at t=
hat resolution :)

> In a week or so I will be doing this with 1920x1080 if all goes well :)

What live camera are you using that output 1920x1080?

The current crop of HD cameras is greatly inferior for live video to
the previous standard def DV-based generation that used Firewire. Any
suggestions for live USB-based HD capture?

I have an HDMI capture card, so I can easily capture 4:4:4 video from
any of my HD camcorders with HDMI output, but that's not practical for
the average person, or portable setup, since PCI-E or USB 3 is needed.

I do have the horsepower to live transcode from anything to anything on the=
 fly.

Just curious.
jermudgeon