[aklug] Re: courer-imap-ssl (with Postfix)

From: Tom Simes <simestd@netexpress.com>
Date: Mon Nov 22 2010 - 13:46:06 AKST

On 11/22/10 13:29, Christopher Howard wrote:
> I'm trying to set up my first e-mail server (for personal use) with postfix for receiving and sending the mail, and courier-imap-ssl for remote IMAP access. Setting up an e-mail server is proving a lot harding then setting up web servers, ftp servers, etc. However, I did manage to get postfix running, and I can receive e-mail at the new account, and the e-mail is dropped off into a .maildir in my HOME directory. If I log into the e-mail server (over SSH) and run mutt, I can view all the e-mail received and also send e-mail.
>
> Now I am hoping to get courier-imap (with ssl) running so I can do this from Thunderbird instead of having to log in. However, I not quite clear on this: can courier-imapd-ssl provide access to a .maildir if it is in the HOMEDIR of a regular Linux account? If so, would the IMAP authentication password be the same password as the Linux account owning the .maildir?
>
> All I saw in /etc/courier-imap/imapd-ssl that seemed to relate was the following, but not sure the appropriate way to set them:
>
> # MAILDIRPATH - directory name of the maildir directory.
> MAILDIRPATH=Maildir
> # Hardwire a value for ${MAILDIR}
> MAILDIR=.maildir
> MAILDIRPATH=.maildir

I realize it's not exactly the configuration you're looking for, but
here is a nice cookbook for Postfix/Dovecot to achieve the same end goal
along with some extra features. I've used it several times and it works
well.

http://www.purplehat.org/?page_id=4

It's somewhat modular, I drop off Maia & OCR and of course the webmail
bits are optional. With the addition of Postfixadmin, this makes a tidy
virtual mail platform.

--
Tom