[aklug] Re: courer-imap-ssl (with Postfix)

From: Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv>
Date: Mon Nov 22 2010 - 14:05:20 AKST

On Nov 22, 2010, at 1:35 PM, Christopher Howard <cmhoward@frigidcode.com> w=
rote:

> I'm trying to set up my first e-mail server (for personal use) with postf=
ix for receiving and sending the mail, and courier-imap-ssl for remote IMAP=
 access. Setting up an e-mail server is proving a lot harding then setting =
up web servers, ftp servers, etc. However, I did manage to get postfix runn=
ing, and I can receive e-mail at the new account, and the e-mail is dropped=
 off into a .maildir in my HOME directory. If I log into the e-mail server =
(over SSH) and run mutt, I can view all the e-mail received and also send e=
-mail.

> Now I am hoping to get courier-imap (with ssl) running so I can do this f=
rom Thunderbird instead of having to log in. However, I not quite clear on =
this: can courier-imapd-ssl provide access to a .maildir if it is in the HO=
MEDIR of a regular Linux account? If so, would the IMAP authentication pass=
word be the same password as the Linux account owning the .maildir?

> All I saw in /etc/courier-imap/imapd-ssl that seemed to relate was the fo=
llowing, but not sure the appropriate way to set them:

> # MAILDIRPATH - directory name of the maildir directory.
> MAILDIRPATH=3DMaildir
> # Hardwire a value for ${MAILDIR}
> MAILDIR=3D.maildir
> MAILDIRPATH=3D.maildir
>
> --
> Christopher Howard
> frigidcode.com
> theologia.indicium.us

Courier will work. Make sure you look into TLS. That works with
Postfix authentication. I think Courier works with TLS as well.

I haven't configured a mail server in a while. Can't give any details.

Hope you get it to work.