[aklug] Re: Maintain your own xorg.conf?

From: Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv>
Date: Thu Nov 04 2010 - 17:01:53 AKDT

What test are you going for?

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 4, 2010, at 4:46 PM, Christopher Howard <cmhoward@frigidcode.com> wr=
ote:

> Is it possible to maintain your own xorg.conf file these days? Do any of =
you guys actually do that manually? (And actually know what you're doing...=
?) Reason I ask is because I am trying to learn how to do it on my own (for=
 my certification test) but I'm not even getting out of the gate.

> If I have no xorg.conf file, then X autoconfigures itself with no issues.=
 But if I run Xorg -configure (to try to get a workable xorg.conf to start =
with) X just crashes (segfault) before starting up and doesn't even give me=
 the xorg.conf file. The xorg.conf.example doesn't seem anything like my sy=
stem.

> Also, is there a tool you can use to get information about you monitor an=
d its available resolution rates, etc.? The book I am reading mentions xdpy=
info and xwininfo, but these apparently only work /after/ X11 has already s=
tarted, and it does not seem very handy to only know about tools that can o=
nly be used if X is /already/ configured correctly. It seems like if Xorg c=
an automagically figure the hardware out, there should be some way for me t=
o see the details from the command-line.