[aklug] Maintain your own xorg.conf?

From: Christopher Howard <cmhoward@frigidcode.com>
Date: Thu Nov 04 2010 - 16:41:48 AKDT

Is it possible to maintain your own xorg.conf file these days? Do any of you guys actually do that manually? (And actually know what you're doing...?) Reason I ask is because I am trying to learn how to do it on my own (for my certification test) but I'm not even getting out of the gate.

If I have no xorg.conf file, then X autoconfigures itself with no issues. But if I run Xorg -configure (to try to get a workable xorg.conf to start with) X just crashes (segfault) before starting up and doesn't even give me the xorg.conf file. The xorg.conf.example doesn't seem anything like my system.

Also, is there a tool you can use to get information about you monitor and its available resolution rates, etc.? The book I am reading mentions xdpyinfo and xwininfo, but these apparently only work /after/ X11 has already started, and it does not seem very handy to only know about tools that can only be used if X is /already/ configured correctly. It seems like if Xorg can automagically figure the hardware out, there should be some way for me to see the details from the command-line.

--
Christopher Howard
frigidcode.com