[aklug] Re: OT whine

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Nov 01 2010 - 22:19:53 AKDT

They don't let me see what the network is here at my office. It's just, "Here's your Cat5 jack, have fun.".

I did put in a request to IT for support. Haven't heard anything. It is still doing it today, but not with as much frequency.

My default route seems to keep going away. Odd thing is, I seem to still be able to ping it. I just can't reach beyond it until I refresh my network connection.

Windows users in my part of the building seem to be having some similar issues. I was just talking to someone else that told me she has lost connectivity a few times this afternoon for short periods. She tells me that IE will periodically tell her its having a problem reaching the internet, then it does something and the Internet comes back. I'm guessing Windows has some facility for automatically restarting the connection when it goes away.

Jim G