[aklug] Re: OT whine

From: Dan Wolf <dan-wolf@gci.net>
Date: Tue Nov 02 2010 - 06:05:49 AKDT

Jim,
Well the info that other users are on this LAN and also having the same =
issue is indicative of an issue with your office =
network/switches/routers rather than something local to your PC. So now =
it is a question of getting the "IT Guy" to get it fixed. However it is =
difficult to know if you simply has a desktop IT guy or someone who =
actually has some networking chops. But if we hope for the best it is =
always a surprise for the IT guy when a used has some useful info for =
them to use to try and figure things out. So any info you can provide to =
them may help. How frequently it happens and something else to know =
would be the 'last hop' when it is out. If you are in a large office =
with a complex network there may be several layer 2 & 3 devices between =
you and the internet. So the next time it goes out run a trace route =
from your device to someplace on the internet, the IP where it stop =
could give the IT guy a place to start. Or who knows perhaps the bosses =
machine gets higher priority when he is configuring his fantasy football =
team........ In any case hope you have a decent IT guy and try to give =
them as much symptomology as possible.

Good luck