[aklug] Re: nvida graphics card

From: adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Fri Oct 22 2010 - 14:09:51 AKDT

Tim Johnson wrote:
> <snip>
> I have been advised to stick with nvidia by a hardware geek, and
> I've googled some info that indicates that ratheons have been
> problematic with ubuntu.

NVIDIA cards have always worked very well for me. By default, Ubuntu
(and other flavors of linux) will use the 'nv' driver by default; Ubuntu
has the Administration->Hardware Drivers dropdown option, which will
cause ubuntu to fetch the latest "nvidia" drivers and utilities, and
install them for you. That driver (while not open-source or pure)
provides much better performance, especially with 3D and other doodads
that you might like (compiz, for example.)

If you want a newer version, and don't mind doing it all by hand, you
can fetch the driver from NVIDIA's web site and configure it; but it's
more of a hassle.

As far as I have been able to tell, ATI's drivers may be fine, but their
utilities suck big time. Nvidia's "nvidia-settings" works more or less
perfectly (On my dual monitor ubuntu x86_64 box, anyway) it can't write
to my xorg.conf file, but I don't really care since I only have to
re-run nvidia-settings every month or two when I reboot.

Go with Nvidia, save yourself some time.

(Queue the ATI lovers flame war)

--
Adam