[aklug] Re: GCI, ond others, bandwith restrictions

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Oct 20 2010 - 20:49:27 AKDT

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010, Jim Gribbin wrote:

> Just to throw something different out there ...
>
> Does anyone think these bandwidth restrictions/caps will make caching
> proxy servers (Squid) come back into vouge? I don't know for certain,
> but I get the impression not to many places make use of them. Maybe
> someone can correct me on this.
>
> I don't know that it would help that much w/ people downloading movies
> or playing online games, but it seems like it could make a difference in
> several other areas. Where I work, a Real Estate office, comes to mind.
>
> We have a couple of hundred people downloading the exact same
> information with the same exact pictures daily. Often for weeks and
> months.
>
> In addition. All these same computers, running pretty much the same
> software, are also downloading the same Microsoft updates, virus
> updates, etc.
>
> I have always felt this is a heck of a waste of bandwidth.

Streaming media, iTunes, etc., really decreases the effectiveness of caching
proxies. I run a squid cluster that handles roughly 1TB of traffic a week,
and we average a little over 20% savings, but it used to be somewhat higher.
~20% isn't anything to sneeze at, though.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die