[aklug] Re: GCI, ond others, bandwith restrictions

From: Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Oct 20 2010 - 20:58:13 AKDT

Arthur said:

> Streaming media, iTunes, etc., really decreases the effectiveness of cach=
ing
> proxies. =A0I run a squid cluster that handles roughly 1TB of traffic a w=
eek,
> and we average a little over 20% savings, but it used to be somewhat high=
er.
> ~20% isn't anything to sneeze at, though.

I see about a tenth of Arthur's traffic through squid, but the
percentages are about the same. I've seen savings drop from over 20%
to around 15% due to the rise of streaming media.

Streaming media (by which I mostly mean YouTube) easily count for 40%
of HTTP traffic. I'm experimenting with YouTube caching at the moment;
so far I'm seeing about 30% savings, which should get us back closer
to 20% savings overall.

What we really need is an extension of HTTP that allows a
Bittorrent-like collaborative transfer, with the addition of
nearest-neighbors only, and reporting of stats back to the original
HTTP server for hit counting. I know there are sites that do things
like this with Java or Flash, but until it's in apache and Firefox, it
will go nowhere.

jermudgeon
IT Administrator
Whitestone, AK