[aklug] GCI, ond others, bandwith restrictions

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Oct 20 2010 - 20:43:11 AKDT

Just to throw something different out there ...

Does anyone think these bandwidth restrictions/caps will make caching
proxy servers (Squid) come back into vouge? I don't know for certain,
but I get the impression not to many places make use of them. Maybe
someone can correct me on this.

I don't know that it would help that much w/ people downloading movies
or playing online games, but it seems like it could make a difference in
several other areas. Where I work, a Real Estate office, comes to mind.

We have a couple of hundred people downloading the exact same
information with the same exact pictures daily. Often for weeks and
months.

In addition. All these same computers, running pretty much the same
software, are also downloading the same Microsoft updates, virus
updates, etc.

I have always felt this is a heck of a waste of bandwidth.

--
Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>