[aklug] Re: windoze 7 sucks

From: <jonr@destar.net>
Date: Wed Oct 20 2010 - 13:52:20 AKDT

Quoting James Zuelow <James_Zuelow@ci.juneau.ak.us>:

> [...]

Yes those are their but I don't use printers or workstations to manage
them, I would use a server.

> You still dodged the question. :)
>
> Which "Linux" servers are you talking about?

Well, there really are no linux servers. Linux is a server or a
workstation or whatever else you want. But to clarify I would think it
would be a "free" distro of your choice, RH and Suse are not free but
CentOS is.

> And you WILL call Microsoft for enterprise management features once you get=
> past the basic small network case with more than a few servers.

Once I get past a certain point but we are talking about one or two servers.

> There are tons of necessary downloads for this & that, not to mention the p=
> ay for products like System Center Operations Manager, which is different f=
> rom System Center Configuration Manager and System Center Virtual Machine M=
> anager, all the different Forefront products, etc. etc.

And these are for huge installations of more than a 1000
users/devices, I presume. That is understandable as that has always
been the MS way. You can't just buy MS Server, you might need Advanced
Server or Super Sayan Server.

> Anyway, I just wanted to point out that if you want a Linux enterprise but =
> you don't want to build it yourself, all you have to do is pay someone else=
> to do it. RedHat has a successful business built around doing exactly tha=
> t.

And there are a myriad of ways to build it and implement it and you
will never find it the same from any two installations. Fedora has
their way, RH has their way and Suse has their way and when I move
from a RH site to a Suse site I get to learn it all over again.

> And if you want to build a Windows enterprise, you'll quickly find your=
> self outgrowing the tools installed "out of the box." Microsoft is able to=
> sell their enterprise products mentioned above because they are NOT availa=
> ble out of the box.

True. But on a single server the tools needed are there to manage the
entire enterprise until like you said it grows beyond that.

Don't get me wrong James, I am not advocating windows but it is the
same toolset in every installation, I just wish we had something like
that in Linux.

Jon