[aklug] Re: Downloading Ubuntu 10.10 update.

From: Michael Figley <michaelfigley@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Oct 19 2010 - 15:03:42 AKDT

--- On Tue, 10/19/10, Scott Carnahan <scott@ravenmoonart.com> wrote:

> Sorry to come across as totally
> clueless, but I know this can done, and one
> of the nice folks on the list showed me how, way back in
> the Ubuntu 6.X
> days.
>
> I have a large number of 10.04 systems that I want to
> upgrade, but I have
> already gotten a notice from my IP that I have been using
> too much band
> width. Is there a way to download the update from 10.4 to
> 10.10 and drop it
> on a DVD and then just upgrade at will from there?
>

> Thanks for any direction. I have one done, but need to do 4
> more and at 1
> gig a pop (approx.) it will cause issues with my IP.
>
> Scott

This won't help near term but, long term, look at the
IPCop firewall distro, with the Update Accelerator add-on.

It caches

* M$ Updates ( this is a biggie it you have `doze users )
* Linux
* Apple
* Adobe
* updates from several AV vendors

It's somewhat flexible to if you can PERL.

All that is required is consistent download links.

My M$ cache is currently at 7.6GB, with data from cache at 79GB!

This is just from updating a few client's boxes and my son's laptop.

If you gotta old P3 + 20GB drive lying around, why not make your own Cop?
( or put it on VM, and save 30 or 40 watts... )

Note: 1.4.20 is stable, 1.9x is in test, i have no experience with.

mikef