[aklug] Re: windoze 7 sucks

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Tue Oct 19 2010 - 13:37:25 AKDT

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Damien Hull wrote:

> True... I'm looking for an active directory replacement. I know
> OpenLDAP is out there. It just seems like a lot of work and the tools
> aren't easy to use. Not for me anyway.
>
> I could be missing something here.

The tools are out there, but they're not always from the same source. MS
does make it simpler in that regard, there's only one place to go for the
normally preferred toolsets out there. In Linux you may need to put
together your own set of tools from a couple of different sources.

Replacing AD isn't hard if you just want an equivalent solution. It is
moderately harder if you want to replace it for Windows clients, etc., for a
heterogenous environment. MS has a vested interest in making sure that
compatibility is a moving target.

You also need to keep in mind the different mindsets. Windows users
typically expect a monolithic, heavily integrated stack. UNIX users
typically expect discrete functional packages. Black box versus legos.
You'll never sell a die-hard Windows user on the UNIX architecture. But
they'll also never get the sheer flexibility and power of being to arrange
those individual components as one sees fit.

So, are you looking for an AD replacement to support Windows clients?
You'll definitely want to look at Samba, as Jon suggests. If you just want
AD-like capabilities for Linux, though, you're just looking LDAP, Kerberos,
PAM, NFSv4, etc. And there's a multitude of higher-level admin tools to
manage most of those. Check out freshmeat.net.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die