[aklug] Re: [Solved-basically] Re: Re: Windows question: this account is locked

From: Bruce Hill <bruce@slackwarebox.com>
Date: Mon Oct 11 2010 - 16:53:41 AKDT

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 01:46:31PM -0800, Christopher Howard wrote:
> On 10/11/2010 01:17 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm. Which version of XP? Home or Pro? Each behaves differently.
> > Further, they'll also put up different options depending on whether
> > you're logging in locally or domain.
> >

> No idea, to be honest. There doesn't seem to be a /proc/version file. :)

Windows logo key + Pause/Break will display the version ... he just meant
XP Home or XP Pro ... what an oxymoron, eh? Such as Home as even more
crippled networking ... who at Mickey$oft would expect 'home users' to
want to network their comps?

My memory is really fuzzy, but around '03 an American working for a joint
venture company was in country with a personal laptop and he'd somehow
reset his password and forgot it ... iirc, Google led me to some SAM file
or registry edit, which was easily removed/reset and then a new password
given. Once I found the fix, it was only seconds to do it. The effectively
gave the same account a new passwd.

C:\Users\Anna>cat /proc/version
'cat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Anna>info cat
See litter box which replaced mouse in front of kbd on laptop.

C:\Users\Anna>_

Bruce

--
May the Lamb that was slain receive the reward of His suffering!
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the