[aklug] Re: Need a Cisco Managed Switch

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Tue Oct 05 2010 - 18:36:11 AKDT

I've gone one step further and identified a series of switches with a
common OEM board and processor produced by a consortium that seems
fine not being cisco. Dell and SMC both use this hardware with their
own software images to offer good L2 switches (as well as L3).

I'm very fond of the SMC TigerSwitch series as well as the SMC Smart
Switch series which we use all over the place in our company at the
moment. I've used them at several jobs and they are quite happy
passing packets, have standard STP, bonding works really stupidly well
with most other switches and servers, and the VLAN management is fair
and usable.

One gotcha is that on the smart switches there seems to be some issues
updating VLANs without making all tagged frames drop for several
seconds while it reconfigures itself.

- Shane

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Kevin Miller <atftb2@alaska.net> wrote:
> On 10/05/2010 05:43 AM, Mike Tibor wrote:
>> I'm hoping someone here might have something like a 2950 that they'd be =
willing
>> to sell.
>>
>> I'm moving my noisy server into the garage and want a good quality layer=
 2
>> 10/100 switch with preferrably 2 gig ports. =A0I've had lots of problems=
 in the
>> past with the cheaper brands like Netgear, D-link, etc. so I'd like to s=
tay
>> away from them.
>>
>> So if any of you have a 2950 gathering dust, drop me a line off-list and=
 I'd be