[aklug] Re: CPU/RAM on older hardware

From: James Zuelow <James_Zuelow@ci.juneau.ak.us>
Date: Tue Sep 07 2010 - 10:03:43 AKDT

----Original Message----
From: aklug-bounce@aklug.org [mailto:aklug-bounce@aklug.org] On Behalf
Of Kurt Brendgard Sent: Sunday, September 05, 2010 10:08 AM
To: aklug
Subject: [aklug] Re: CPU/RAM on older hardware

> and the chip. And then they took over the world. I also remember the
> z8000=20
> chip(not z80) being classified so that the Soviets could not buy it
> for use in=20
> their missile program because it was so powerful.
>=20
>=20

When I worked in Sarajevo in 1994 I brought my own PC with me -- an AST wit=
h 16MB RAM, DX2 66MHz, and a 340MB hard drive.=20

There was a Serb checkpoint between the airport and Sarajevo city, and they=
 would confiscate any computer that they found with a Pentium chip, as Pent=
iums were "military hardware" and could be used by the Bosnian army. =20

I think it was more of a question of dollar value than military utility, an=
d my computer didn't meet the criteria. But I still took advantage of my ab=
ility to use an alternate gate that bypassed the checkpoint just to avoid t=
esting my theory.

James Z=