[aklug] Re: CPU/RAM on older hardware

From: Kurt Brendgard <brendgard@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Sep 05 2010 - 10:08:15 AKDT

:o Somebody else remembers the old S100 bus??? :o

The first Dos box I bought? If I remember right, it was a Kaypro, with no more
than 512k(I bought RAM chips to pop in to upgrade it at some point), 8mhz, and
no HD. I added in a 10mb MFM my self sometime later. Nope, not even RLL lol. I
pretty much had to buy the system when I started in at school at Alaska Computer
Institute in the programming course, a school that no longer exists. I needed
something I could do homework on in Pascal and Cobol, which are rarely used.

Before that though, the first computer I ever owned was a TRS-80 CC2. And back
before even, that I was stuck borrowing. I remember reading about the brand new
IBM personal computers and thinking "what a stupid way to do things" about them
and the chip. And then they took over the world. I also remember the z8000
chip(not z80) being classified so that the Soviets could not buy it for use in
their missile program because it was so powerful.