[aklug] Re: qemu - connect to Internet?

From: Tom Simes <simestd@netexpress.com>
Date: Tue Sep 07 2010 - 07:06:02 AKDT

On 09/05/10 02:45, Christopher Howard wrote:

> I ended up dropping Bochs and switching to qemu. I originally avoided it
> because I wanted gcc-3, but then I realized I was using a real old
> version of qemu. :] Version 0.12.5 uses gcc-4.
>
> I've been able to figure out everything just fine so far, except for the
> networking part. What should I tack on to my command-line to give my VM
> access to the Internet? I'm looking at the online docs, but to be honest
> this VLAN/TAP stuff isn't making much sense to me.
>
> My launch syntax so far:
>
> qemu -drive file=85M-disk.img,index=0,media=disk 85M-disk.img -boot
> order=dc -m 64M -curses

This is what I use to launch my Qemu Win2K instance on FreeBSD (as a
contiguous line):

qemu -soundhw sb16 -hda ~/.qemu/Win2K.img -localtime -m 256 -net nic
-net tap

By doing it this way (as opposed to bridging), I get the benefit of my
BSD box acting as a firewall for the Qemu virtual machine. Makes a
handy lab environment too for figuring out what the virtual instance is
up to:

http://xkcd.com/350/

--
Tom