[aklug] Re: NetBSD on Cobalts

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Sun Sep 05 2010 - 07:53:00 AKDT

Jim Gribbin said, on 09/04/2010 11:32 PM:

> On Sat, 2010-09-04 at 17:17 -0800, Royce Williams wrote:
> Well, the recommendation is to login as user and su to root. Would
> marking these insecure stop me from doing that? There was a long list of
> ttys in /etc/ttys, how would I recognize the real ones?

Nope, insecure has no effect on non-root users. I'm not as familiar
with NetBSD, but usually, the type of TTY is in the prefix. On FreeBSD,
ttyv* are virtual terminals (what I was colloquially calling "real" in
that they are accessible physically), ttyd* are serial ports, ttyp* are
pseudo-terminals (for SSH, etc.).

>> Leave the password flag off, maybe? Once you add the user, you can use
>> passwd to set the password to whatever you want.
> I did try it leaving the password flag off. When I ran passwd, it still
> asked me for the old password. I just hit return hoping the password was
> blank, apparently it wasn't.

If you run passwd as root, you won't be prompted for the old password,
As root, run 'passwd [username]'.

Royce