[aklug] Re: NetBSD on Cobalts (was: Re: Friday Linux)

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Sep 04 2010 - 23:32:13 AKDT

On Sat, 2010-09-04 at 17:17 -0800, Royce Williams wrote:
> Jim Gribbin said, on 09/04/2010 03:17 PM:
> > * remove all pseudo terminal (tty[pqrs]?) lines from /etc/ttys, or
> > remove “secure” field from such pseudo terminals
>
> If it's marked insecure, you can't log in as root. Adjust to taste. I
> usually make everything insecure except for the first real TTYs.
Well, the recommendation is to login as user and su to root. Would
marking these insecure stop me from doing that? There was a long list of
ttys in /etc/ttys, how would I recognize the real ones?

> > * add new users with user(8) etc.
> > * I tried adding a user, but I'm having some difficulty
> > with it. I used:
> > * useradd -D -m -p password -G wheel frilinux
>
> Leave the password flag off, maybe? Once you add the user, you can use
> passwd to set the password to whatever you want.
I did try it leaving the password flag off. When I ran passwd, it still
asked me for the old password. I just hit return hoping the password was
blank, apparently it wasn't.

> Royce

I also just installed into virtual box so I could tinker. Works the
same.

# useradd -p password frilinux

gives me

useradd: Password 'password' is invalid: setting it to `*************'
#

It doesn't seem to matter what password I give it, I'm told it's
invalid. If I leave out the password switch, I don't get the message,
but the password isn't blank either.

--
Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>