[aklug] Re: CPU/RAM on older hardware

From: Tim Gibney <timgibney76@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Sep 05 2010 - 04:38:33 AKDT

I loved Monkey Island. My dad was rich and could afford a nice 486 dx/2
66mhz with a huge 8 megs of ram and a 1 meg video card and a 340 meg hard
drive for $3400 back in 1993 when the game was out. I worked all summer to
get an expensive Sound Blaster awe 32 and Monkey Island sounded cd quality
almost. My friends 8 bit sound blaster and his 386 could only play it with
crappy EGA graphics.
Go youtube search Monkey Island as slahdot.org had an article about the game
being played from the pc speaker to cd-quality audio by 1994. Very
interesting.

Anyway remember that terminology from those old days and getting excited
about hearing what an overclocked dx2 at 66 mhz could do vs a dx with 33mhz?
The days of Computer Shopper.

Too bad Unix was $10,000 back then :-(. I heard of this weird thing called
FreeBSD from BSDI. :-) and something called mkLinux for macs but did not
know a pc port existed. I almost downloaded FreeBSD back in 1995 after I
hated Windows 3.1 and DOS with a passion.

DOS was fun on a 286 but I got mad about the sevrer limitations on 386 32
bit hardware after playing with mac classics at school. I guess this was
when I became more open to the mac ... that I still do not have :-(