[aklug] Re: NetBSD on Cobalts (was: Re: Friday Linux)

From: <bryanm@acsalaska.net>
Date: Sun Sep 05 2010 - 02:04:14 AKDT

On Sat, September 4, 2010 11:32 pm, Jim Gribbin wrote:
> I also just installed into virtual box so I could tinker. Works the
> same.
>
> # useradd -p password frilinux
>
> gives me
>
> useradd: Password 'password' is invalid: setting it to `*************'
> #
>
> It doesn't seem to matter what password I give it, I'm told it's
> invalid. If I leave out the password switch, I don't get the message,
> but the password isn't blank either.

This got me curious enough to check the manpage:

  -p passwd
         The encrypted password, as returned by crypt(3). The default is
         to disable the account.

I guess you can manually encrypt the password, but it looks like
the thing to do is leave it out, then change it with passwd.

(Recall that anyone running ps can see your command line, so
entering a password as part of any command is a Bad Idea.)

If you're logged in as root, you should be able to change any
password without knowing the old one.

--
Bryan Medsker
bryanm@acsalaska.net