[aklug] Re: Google Evil? Was: Re: I'm an Android

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Fri Jul 23 2010 - 15:27:58 AKDT

On 07/23/2010 02:48 PM, Christopher Kunzler wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Christopher Howard
> <choward@indicium.us> wrote:

>>> I love Google--Google is one of the few big corporations I don't
>>> believe to be evil. However I can understand why some have concerns.
>>> Google has access to a crazy amount of information.
>>>

>> Well, sure they do... every company and publisher on the planet wants
>> them to. They are a web search company, crawling the web like Yahoo and
>> Alexa and anyone else can freely.
>>

> Good point. They also have all the search data people enter.

Yeah. But again, you're sending text data over an unsecured connection
to a remote server to get free query results. How can there be any
reasonable expectation of privacy?

>> Now, there is the question of people storing their entire life's worth
>> of personal e-mail communication on a server they haven't paid for or
>> have no control over. But if we all really cared about that, we could
>> just PGP encrypt our e-mails and do the decryption locally. (That way,
>> you can store the e-mails on any server you wanted and only you would be
>> able to read them.)
>>
>> - --
>

> Good idea and convincing pitch. I think I might start doing that
> then. How do you keep your keys safe? I'm afraid I'd encrypt stuff
> then lose the ability to open my email.

Keep one backup copy in some secure location. There are probably quite a
few approaches you could take to keeping the backup secure. First of
all, you can encrypt the key pair itself with pass-phrase-based
encryption, so that even if somebody steals your private key, they can't
use it. (GPG makes this easy.) Then, you could drop the backup file in
an encfs that is itself protected with a pass-phrase (along with your
other confidential backup data), and upload the encfs raw data to your
remote backup server. Then anyone (including your remote-backup company)
would have to break through two-layers of high-grade security to get to
the private key.

Another approach would be to actually print the key data out onto a
piece of paper (in ASCII format), throw it in a capsule, and bury it in
some secret location.

- --
Christopher Howard
http://frigidcode.com