[aklug] pgp key backup (was: Re: Re: Google Evil? Was: Re: I'm an Android)

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Fri Jul 23 2010 - 15:40:31 AKDT

To eliminate the chore and typos of typing your PGP key back in from
scratch, print it out with a large, OCR-friendly font.

Alternatively, you can use a paper-based backup system (like one of
these) to semi-obfuscate:

Paperbak (Windows):
http://www.ollydbg.de/Paperbak/index.html

Twibright Optar (Linux-friendly):
http://ronja.twibright.com/optar/

If printing high-res, you can pack a lot of data onto a single sheet.
Sort of silly, but it works.

I would have suggested QR codes as well, but most of the generators I
know of are capped at 250 chars (not sure if that's a limitation of the
spec or not).

Royce