[aklug] Re: Gui WYSIWYG web development tools

From: Michael Figley <michaelfigley@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Jul 17 2010 - 17:46:27 AKDT

--- On Thu, 7/15/10, Tim Gibney <timgibney76@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a business idea for a
> website/project that I want to start in my
> spare time. Hopefully it will become a full business.
> I need some tools similiar to Netscape's composer where I
> can create website
> quickly as I have limited time to hand code css style
> sheets. I am looking
> for built in javascript debugging and development support
> as well. Frontpage
> is now gone unfortunately and I lost my id to get Microsoft
> Expressions for
> free (I do not like it). Quanta and many other html editors
> are out but I
> want something more up to date for web 2.0 site creation.
>
> My laptop runs Fedora Linux and my cdrom wont work
> otherwise I would use a
> win32 based solution. I am open to win32 based solutions as
> well if no good
> tools are available.
>
> Basically, I am looking for something that I can create a
> whole website
> quickly and visually as creating custom CSS in text does
> not make a lot of
> sense. I want to edit and add custom source code too. I am
> not afraid of a
> little SQL or php for customization. Is Adobe Flex the only
> player left?

ferget all that gwysiwyg stuff... ;)

Netbeans! w/svn or some other config mgmt. ,

create/borrow some "templates" close to your desires

create static pages now, with whatever gui or edit in NB

checkout firefox addons/extensions for css/debugging

when you step up to dynamic RoR/PhP, you'll be ready to roll!

at least there's the common netbeans/project thread

and, config mgmt. and JS debugging is already online

mike f