[aklug] Re: Google Crome

From: <atftb2@alaska.net>
Date: Tue Jul 13 2010 - 21:13:14 AKDT

> I like fire fox but Crome is better. It works fine on ubuntu.

I tried it at work. I'm running Debian Lenny w/a Win7 instance in VirtualBox. My
impression was it sucked rocks. I don't recall if it was on the Linux or Windows
side, but it took forever to load, maxed the CPU and in general was anything but
fast. I must be an anomaly though because everybody else seems to really like it.
Maybe I'll try it again on another box.

The one thing that's really off-putting to me though is because they integrated the
URL box and the search box, all my browsing is seen by Google.

Not that I ever go anywhere more exciting than slashdot, but it just bugs me that
some strangers out there are keeping tabs on me. Which reminds me, I need to pick
up more tinfoil at the store tomorrow. Hats just don't last as long as they used
to.

> I've only used it for about a day so far. It's fast and it let me post
> a YouTube video on facebook. I know most of you don't care about
> facebook. However, firefox didn't work in this situation.

Weird. I haven't tried it, but that's really surprising.

> I'm also guessing Crome will work with HTML5 videos on YouTube.
> Haven't tried it yet. I do know firefox won't play them. I tried.

It won't be long.

> I hate to say it but it looks like firefox is about to become old
> school. Like "I remember when everyone used firefox". I'm sure there's
> a downside to Crome but if it works where firefox fails people will
> make the switch.
>
> The Mozilla developers better do something quick if they want to stay
> on top. Assuming they're still on top.

It's always a game of leap frog. The thing with Chrome is its new and shiny.
Apart from my experience above, I can't really say I liked the interface either. I
don't like the tabs on the very top. But I also always have the tab bar open too.
If I need more real estate I just hit F11 and all the menus and tabs and such
disappear. Another F11 and I'm back to normal.

After a browser loads I've never really noticed any difference in the rendering
speed. It depends so much on the site you're hitting, network congestion, graphic
content, and the local load on your computer. One day one page is fast, the next
day it isn't. When it gets down to it, on every browser I use it takes longer to
take a sip of coffee than it does for a page to load so raw speed isn't really the
selling point that they'd have you believe it is. At least to me...

...Kevin