[aklug] Re: Getting kids into programming...

From: James Zuelow <James_Zuelow@ci.juneau.ak.us>
Date: Fri Jul 02 2010 - 15:22:39 AKDT

>=20
> Anyway, Scratch looks interesting, although I'm frightened by all the
> "go to" statements I saw in the screen shots. Maybe I'll take a look
> at=20
> it this week end.
>=20

Go to statements are awesome.

I usually make a 'goto' function, which takes a list of arguments.

The goto function then calls the function given as the first argument.

Then instead of just calling a function, and maybe being confused
about what I'm doing, I can call the goto function which will then
call the function for me. Then I know exactly what is going on as
I go to the function I called with goto!

Even better, if your language uses subroutines instead of functions
the same idea will still work.

Everything is so much clearer with goto, don't you think?

Now if I could just get line numbers put into things like Perl so
that I can just goto a line number. Does Ruby use line numbers,
or is it one of those hard languages that makes you remember where
you are?

;-)

James=