[aklug] Re: Getting kids into programming...

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Fri Jul 02 2010 - 15:51:21 AKDT

On 07/02/2010 03:22 PM, James Zuelow wrote:

>> =20
>> Anyway, Scratch looks interesting, although I'm frightened by all the
>> "go to" statements I saw in the screen shots. Maybe I'll take a look
>> at=20
>> it this week end.
>> =20
>
> Go to statements are awesome.
>
> I usually make a 'goto' function, which takes a list of arguments.
>
> The goto function then calls the function given as the first argument.
>
> Then instead of just calling a function, and maybe being confused
> about what I'm doing, I can call the goto function which will then
> call the function for me. Then I know exactly what is going on as
> I go to the function I called with goto!
>
> Even better, if your language uses subroutines instead of functions
> the same idea will still work.
>
> Everything is so much clearer with goto, don't you think?
>
> Now if I could just get line numbers put into things like Perl so
> that I can just goto a line number. Does Ruby use line numbers,
> or is it one of those hard languages that makes you remember where
> you are?

*Christopher collapses to the floor and screams in terrible agony*

That whole line numbering thing was such a mess. My Apple IIe line
numbering almost always ended up looking something like this:

1 ...
3 ...
7 ...
8 ...
9 ...
10 ...
100 ...
105 ...
110 ...
500 ...
550 ...
1000 ...

Now, what really gets in the way of fun programming today is all that
"protected memory" nonsense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEEK_and_POKE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_poke

- --