[aklug] Re: Reasonable average server load?

From: adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Thu Jun 24 2010 - 10:00:12 AKDT

Arthur Corliss wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jun 2010, adam bultman wrote:
>

>> In my case, the ESX host decided...
>> <snip>
>>

> Ah, that makes more sense, then. Goes to show, though, that if you're not
> monitoring the host with SAR you really have no idea what's going on.

Yes, exactly.
> Doesn't vmware support pinning memory so the guests RAM can't get swapped
> out?

Yes, but the VMWare folks - at least the ones I talked to via support -
don't suggest you do that. They say that it should handle memory just
fine. That being said, I *did* go back and make changes to the ESX
servers and the VM so that it's RAM never gets swapped out again. And
the munin graphs let me see right away if the ESX server is doing
anything dumb.

ESX has *some* limited functionality (vmstat, but no iostat or sar) that
you can use to see how it is doing via the command line, but it seems
VMWare really prefers you to use the windows client they have, and then
just look at the graphs. There's other fancy-pants VMWare utilities you
can use, but parsing the output is horrid.

Adam

--
Adam