[aklug] Re: YouTube HTML5

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net>
Date: Mon Jun 21 2010 - 22:47:05 AKDT

On Monday 21 June 2010 15:59:14 Greg Madden wrote:
> I am using the Mozilla Developer Preview.
>
> At the bottom of the linked page you can opt in to the HTML5 program.
> AFAIKT any html5 content will be loaded first. Failing that the default is
> flash, if available. The site says that if the commercials are not html5
> the video will default to flash also. There is a html5 icon that shows
> while initializing the dl.
>
> Not all Youtube videos are html5.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/html5
>
> So far google/youtube has html5 content. I wonder how far it will spread.
> Flash on 64 bit is a no go.

"Flash on 64 bit is a no go" refers to the latest release of Flash, sorry for
the generalization.

Adobe has stopped supporting flash for 64bit Linux. The bug fix release ver
10.1? didn't happen for Linux. I don't know what the ramifications are of not
upgrading and using the previous version.

There are no 64bit downloads of flash available from Adobe, AFAIKT. I tried
the script that is available in Debian non-free and it did,t find a package.

--
Peace,
Greg