[aklug] Re: Last days of unlimited?

From: Tim Gibney <timgibney76@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jun 21 2010 - 21:46:22 AKDT

I generally oppose regulation and believe in free enterprise. However, the
government forces a monopoly on 1 phone line cable and 1 TV cable per
household. Also our tax dollars were spent installing fiber backbones and
these leeches want a government granted monopoly but do not want to play by
special rules by being in a unique situation.

Its not capitalism if no competitors exist because there is no free market.
In Europe you can use an Iphone with unlimited data and use another network
if you wish without throwing away the phone for 1/4 the price of here. Oh
and no abusive contracts! The fact that ATT is getting rid of unlimited
bandwidth angers me and why my wife refuses to buy I-phones. She does not
want to be pulled in and nickeled and dimed and then be stuck with higher
fees every 2 years after the contract ends. I do not blame her. If ATT wants
to do this that is there perogative but if my tax dollars go to their
network then I feel I should have a say because I own part of it.

The lack of bandwidth is all made up and artificially limited. 98% of all
fiber is dark because the mega telecom companies want to charge consumers
more. They hire lobbyists to ensure this stays. In a free market competitors
would be coming in and supplying better services at a cheaper price. I do
not know if GCI has government subsidized cable backbones are not so this is
debatable if bandwidth is truly limited or not. If they are then I would be
angry as hell.

Imagine paying $600 a month for water or $400 for sewer? If these utilities
were not regulated we would paying this believe it or not. What else would
we do? Regulations are needed if you are granting someone infinite
bargaining power via a monopoly or oligopoly.

I am glad Google at least is buying some of the dark cable and is starting
their own ISP. They are furious of the net neutrality rules and being double
dipped by the mega telecoms.