[aklug] Re: Last days of unlimited?

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Mon Jun 21 2010 - 16:42:23 AKDT

On Monday 21 June 2010, michael huff elucidated thus:
> > I'm not sure what you consider "adequate," but I have the ACS 3Mb
> > plan (uncapped), and it does fine. We even get some TV shows in
> > HD, even though Netflix says 3.5Mb is required for HD.
> >
> That would probably work for anything I'd want it for then. I read
> their website and it looks like it's DSL? How easy (or hard) is it to
> use with *nix (specifically Ubuntu -which I assume is easy,
> or FreeBSD, which would be less so)?

Well, the new units they're distributing seem to have a small Linux box
built in (it has busybox, anyone want to pressure them for the source
code?), that serves up IP addresses via a DHCP server, so it's plug and
go, once you enter your user/pass at the web admin. If you want to make
it a dumb modem (configuration switch), then any OS that supports PPPoE
will work just fine.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com