[aklug] Re: Alaska peering

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Tue Jun 08 2010 - 09:56:07 AKDT

Arthur Corliss wrote, on 6/8/2010 9:30 AM:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2010, Royce Williams wrote:
>
>> Arthur Corliss wrote, on 6/8/2010 8:12 AM:
>>> town. The lack of peering agreements in Alaska is just downright asinine.

>> ACS, GCI and MTA all appear to be peering, each no more than 1.5 ms apart to/from ACS:
>
> AT&T does peer with ACS, but GCI is still 14 hops/57ms away, with MTA in a
> similar position.

Copy that.

Teach me to fish a little, if you would ...how could Joe Admin, without
any special inside knowledge (that you and I have, Arthur) determine
what AT&T space to traceroute to in order to confirm the peering? All
of the IPs that I could determine for myself (NS, MX, your email
headers, etc.) all either pointed to something Outside, or something
70ms away.

> It's gotten a little better over the years, but the fact that we're not all
> peering is just downright stupid. The requests have been made, I know that,
> but nothing has come of them.

One or the other of each side of the peering attempts probably also had
some large legal/contractual/red-tape hoops to jump through.

So to summarize, these entities peer in Alaska: (doubled up to make
patterns more clear):

ACS-MTA
ACS-GCI
ACS-ATT
ATT-ACS
GCI-ACS
MTA-ACS

... and these don't:

ATT-GCI
ATT-MTA
GCI-ATT
MTA-ATT

Is this correct?

For completeness, we need more data for the following (not doubled up to
reduce duplication errors, and note that I have not included Borealis,
as their upstream appears to be AT&T):

MTA-GCI
Clearwire-[anybody]

Folks on MTA, GCI or Clearwire: please post results of traceroutes from
your space to these IPs, along with what network you're coming from:

209.112.130.2 (ACS)
209.165.131.14 (GCI)
216.152.176.1 (MTA)

Once we get a couple, everyone else can wave off - no need to send more. :-)

Traceroutes from Clearwire should (hopefully) show some infrastructure
in-state that we could ping to determine network distance.

Looking-glasses, anyone? ;-) I appear to be recreating one, poorly ...
but this information is useful enough for everyone's general
troubleshooting purposes that I think it's worth capturing.

What's the status of the AKLUG Wiki? Maybe the results could go there.

Royce