[aklug] Re: internal domain name recommendation

From: Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jun 07 2010 - 21:47:09 AKDT

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 9:34 PM, Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net> wrote:
> I much prefer using a private subdomain of my own domain (prv.tycho.org)
> for internal stuff. =A0Perfectly legal, guaranteed no collisions. =A0I us=
e a
> BIND view to only resolve it internally.
>
> Typing your primary private domain shouldn't be an issue, either; you
> should add it to the /etc/resolv.conf search path and skip typing it
> altogether.

Royce, this sounds like good advice to me. I ought to migrate my DNS
that way. I started using the internal DNS w/ .local long before I
owned any real domains, and never made the switch once I did. I'll
have to use a subdomain, since I would have collisions if I just added
everything to my internal view in bind.

But it's a pain to migrate the brains of users who number well in
excess of 100 or 125. Not sure I'll do it, since I haven't encountered
a deal-breaker yet w/ .local

jermudgeon