[aklug] Re: internal domain name recommendation

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Mon Jun 07 2010 - 21:34:44 AKDT

Joshua J. Kugler said, on 06/07/2010 08:21 AM:
> Isn't .localdomain exactly for this purpose?

I find .local[domain] and its kin confusing and ugly. My internal
mental 'validity checker' chokes on it every time because it's not a
valid TLD.

I much prefer using a private subdomain of my own domain (prv.tycho.org)
for internal stuff. Perfectly legal, guaranteed no collisions. I use a
BIND view to only resolve it internally.

Typing your primary private domain shouldn't be an issue, either; you
should add it to the /etc/resolv.conf search path and skip typing it
altogether.

Royce