[aklug] Re: clearwire in anchorage

From: Alan C. <alan@caruth.org>
Date: Mon Jun 07 2010 - 10:14:31 AKDT

My girlfriend lived in Nunaka Valley and had Clearwire for a few years. =
We ended up putting the modem up in the attic to get enough signal in =
order to make it usable on a day-to-day basis and used a wireless router =
to distribute Internet within the house but the jitter and speed was =
always highly variable. Sometimes it would be >1Mbps w/ <40ms jitter, =
then other times it was brutal - like <150k w/ 800ms jitter. Overall it =
didn't turn out to be a horrible solution, but if I were a gamer of any =
sort or a heavy internet user it would have killed me.

Other options in Anchorage might be AT&T WiMax or a EVDO card from GCI =
or ACS for wireless connectivity.

-Alan