[aklug] Re: OK, akluggers, riddle me this (FC SAN/switching question)

From: adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Thu May 06 2010 - 13:00:34 AKDT

Arthur Corliss wrote:
> On Thu, 6 May 2010, damien hull wrote:
>

>> Your network design looks good to me. It's the way Cisco designs networks. As long as the SAN doesn't have a problem with it. I don't know how the SAN works. Why did others tell you not to do this? Maybe there's a reason.
>>
>> Take a look at the following.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisco%27s_3_Layered_Model
>> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Campus/campover.html#wp708780
>>

> The rationale is that if you're doing zoning one bad rule pushed can take
> down the entire fabric. By keeping the switches separate you're essentially
> connected to two fabrics, so one going down isn't going to lose your
> connectivity.

From what I'm told, FC port resets can affect all ports on a particular
zone, so what I've been instructed to do is "single initiator zoning".
So, for each initiator connecting to my SAN target, I have a zone.
Makes for a headache, but allegedly it is better.

> I've got a similar set-up. If you're going to do zoning it's highly
> recommended that you split the fabrics just to keep you from shooting
> yourself in the foot.

I am doing zoning, and I'll probably not interconnect my switches.
It'll keep things much more simple than if I had them all connected.
> Cisco, BTW, is now an emerging player in the FC market (I recently bought
> several switches at a fraction of what it would cost from Brocade), and
> they'll make the same recommendations. FC is *not* ethernet. You can't
> manage them the same way.

I was in some Network Appliance training a few weeks ago, and one guy
there was swooning about how awesome Cisco's gear is. He was also
talking about a Nexus (sp?) series of products that is letting him
Virtualize his ESX servers, which is just crazy to me. (Crazy 'awesome',
crazy 'new', not crazy 'in the nuthouse')

Adam
> --Arthur Corliss
> Live Free or Die

Adam