[aklug] Re: OK, akluggers, riddle me this (FC SAN/switching question)

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Thu May 06 2010 - 11:42:53 AKDT

On Thu, 6 May 2010, damien hull wrote:

> Your network design looks good to me. It's the way Cisco designs networks. As long as the SAN doesn't have a problem with it. I don't know how the SAN works. Why did others tell you not to do this? Maybe there's a reason.
>
> Take a look at the following.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisco%27s_3_Layered_Model
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Campus/campover.html#wp708780

The rationale is that if you're doing zoning one bad rule pushed can take
down the entire fabric. By keeping the switches separate you're essentially
connected to two fabrics, so one going down isn't going to lose your
connectivity.

I've got a similar set-up. If you're going to do zoning it's highly
recommended that you split the fabrics just to keep you from shooting
yourself in the foot.

Cisco, BTW, is now an emerging player in the FC market (I recently bought
several switches at a fraction of what it would cost from Brocade), and
they'll make the same recommendations. FC is *not* ethernet. You can't
manage them the same way.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die