[aklug] Re: OK, akluggers, riddle me this (FC SAN/switching question)

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Thu May 06 2010 - 11:50:51 AKDT

On Thu, 6 May 2010, damien hull wrote:

> This won't give you more throughput. Just redundancy in case one switch or port goes down. That's all I can see anyway. Never used a fiber switch or done fancy switching. In the Cisco world you need to do etherchannel to get more speed. That's where you combined two or more ports together. I'm sure your fiber switch can do something like this. Not sure you need it though.
>
> If anyone wants to jump in and tell me I'm wrong pleas do so. I'm only going off of book and classroom knowledge.

FC is not ethernet. You can load balance across ports, but that assumes the
SAN server has an similar setup into the fabric.

FYI: etherchannel (or 802.3ad) doesn't really give you speed aggregation on
a per-session basis. An individual stream will only be able to go as fast
as a single port rate. The value in 802.3ad is in redundancy and the
ability to take concurrent streams across multiple ports for an effective
aggregate speed boost.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die