[aklug] Re: AKLUG and others

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri Mar 05 2010 - 06:22:46 AKST

Quoting "David J. Weller-Fahy" <dave-lists-aklug@weller-fahy.com>:

> * Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us> [2010-03-05 02:45 -0400]:
>> bruce@slackwarebox.com wrote:
>> > Speaking of which ... we have a website, and I am presently
>> > transferring the registration and hosting. Now I need to design
>> > something and am looking to learn HTML. I've seen various HOW-TO
>> > articles, but I don't particularly want to spend time "building a
>> > website" which says "Hurrah! This is my first website." I'd prefer
>> > to actually just learn the syntax or whatever is appropriate for
>> > HTML/XHTML and possibly CSS, since it seems that a lot of websites
>> > today are styled with CSS.
>> >
>> > And, for those zealots, I'll only be using ViM to code the site. Any
>> > good tutorials online that you guys would suggest?
>>
>> Somehow, my every question about HTML or CSS ultimately leads me to the
>> same place:
>>
>> http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp
>
> Indeed - everytime I am messing with [X]HTML/CSS I end up there for
> some bit of knowledge as well. I especially like their "try it"
> sections for each tag.
>
>> I by no means fashion myself to be an /expert/ web designer. However,
>> I would strongly suggest that, rather than maintaining each web page
>> separately, you learn some scripting language and design a system
>> whereby the basic framework of each page is written automatically by a
>> script. Then if you want to change the framework of your entire
>> website you need only modify your script. This can be done fairly
>> easily with PHP, Perl/CGI, or a number of other means.
>
> It can, but I might recommend looking at a wiki instead of coding it
> yourself for the sake of not reinventing the wheel. Should you not want
> the general public editing, then locking the page editing to admin users
> is easy. If you prefer command-line, may I recommend ikiwiki [1] with a
> git [2] backend? That's what I've been using, and being able to
> edit/commit/push and have a website update is fun (for sick people like
> me ;).
>
> [1]: http://ikiwiki.info
> [2]: http://git-scm.com
>
> It's barebones (in the looks department) when you first set it up, but
> that can all be changed via CSS.

I like these suggestions and would add that Oreilly has a couple good =20
books on CSS and HTML. Additionally, the "ooh I like that site" idea =20
is my favorite and working to copy it.

Learning CSS seems important to me, because it provides a great deal =20
of flexibility. Also, since html5 is on the way, it wouldn't be a bad =20
idea to keep your mind open to whatever is coming out of that standard.

Mike B.