[aklug] Sharing media files with Windows based computers

From: Tim Gibney <timgibney76@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Feb 07 2010 - 12:40:35 AKST

My wife bought a bunch of audio cds that I would like to share within the
house via our wifi.
Windows Vista and Windows 7 has media player list sharing that pops up
automatically so I can listen to music from my wife's computer and vice
versa. Itunes has bonjour that can share music and playlists as well that
also discovers other computers on the network. Is there a way I can do this
with Ubuntu Linux? Besides setting up SAMBA, is there extra software or
media players that I can use from gnome to select lists of songs to stream?
Also is there a way I can encode the cds on my Ubuntu laptop and have the
songs visible and playable on the other Windows based computers?