[aklug] Re: Mailing lists

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Wed Dec 09 2009 - 19:34:17 AKST

On Wednesday 09 December 2009, barsalou said something like:
> What mail server do you usually run in that setup?

We run postfix+mailman. Mailman comes with a nice postfix-to-mailman=20
gateway (it's at /usr/lib/mailman/bin/postfix-to-mailman.py on our=20
Ubuntu box) that just works.

=46rom the file:

# This script is meant to be called as a postfix transport pipe.

# It catches all mail to a virtual domain, eg "lists.example.com". It
# looks at the recipient for each mail message and decides if the mail
# is addressed to a valid list or not, and optionally bounces the
# message with a helpful suggestion if it's not addressed to a
# list. It decides if it is a posting, a list command, or mail to the
# list administrator, by checking for the -admin, -owner, -request,
# -join, -leave, -subscribe and -unsubscribe addresses. It will
# recognize a list as soon as the list is created, there is no need to
# add _any_ aliases for any list. It recognizes mail to postmaster,
# abuse and mailer-daemon, and routes those mails to DEB_LISTMASTER as
# defined in mm_cfg.py

Makes admin'ing a mailman instance a lot nicer.

=2D-=20
Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com