[aklug] Re: HIJACKED THREAD! HA HA HA! [was Re: hosted distros]

From: captgoodnight captgoodnight <captgoodnight@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon Nov 09 2009 - 23:03:20 AKST

I totally agree, Gentoo is a great path. It was just to much for me to keep up with in that then business environment...
thanks,
--eddie

> Subject: [aklug] Re: HIJACKED THREAD! HA HA HA! [was Re: hosted distros]
> From: jimgribbin@gmail.com
> To: choward@indicium.us
> CC: aklug@aklug.org
> Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 20:13:43 -0900
>
> That was something that impressed me when I was using Gentoo. I'm still
> impressed that with how often I'm attempting to figure out how to do
> something or deal with something, and my google searches lead me to some
> Gentoo documentation where someone has what amounts to step-by-step for
> it.
>
> Gentoo is still my fave even though I'm currently using Fedora. The time
> involved to keep everything up was just too much for me. I think
> everything would have been good once I got it layed out and set up, but
> getting there on a box I was trying to use productively ... wasn't
> happening. I definitely learned more about Linux using Gentoo than any
> other one I've tried. With the other distros I've tried, I feel like I'm
> learning more about Fedora or Debian (yes, I've tried it) or Slackware
> or ... or ... than actually about Linux.
>
> On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 14:13 -0900, Christopher Howard wrote:
> >

> > captgoodnight captgoodnight wrote:
> > > I stopped using Gentoo years ago due to the use of tripwire and the abundance of changing files and such, as a security admin it was a pain to keep up with - ROI...
> > >
> > > Has that changed?
> > >
> > > ty,
> > > --eddie
> > >

> > Since I don't even know what tripwire is I can't answer on that point.
> >
> > I'm also no security admin -- just a desktop user and an applications
> > programmer. But there are plenty of people at forums.gentoo.org who
> > would be glad to answer your questions.
> >
> > Regarding security: As far as keeping track of security issues, it seems
> > pretty easy to me just to following the official Gentoo security
> > announcements, which are available at the official website or through
> > eselect news announcements, and which always come with specific
> > recommendations and instructions. There are also a number of different
> > profiles you can choose from that I handle the default options and
> > configuration. On my architecture:
> >
> > [1] default/linux/x86/10.0
> > [2] default/linux/x86/10.0/desktop *
> > [3] default/linux/x86/10.0/developer
> > [4] default/linux/x86/10.0/server
> > [5] hardened/linux/x86/10.0
> > [6] selinux/2007.0/x86
> > [7] selinux/2007.0/x86/hardened
> > [8] selinux/v2refpolicy/x86
> > [9] selinux/v2refpolicy/x86/desktop
> > [10] selinux/v2refpolicy/x86/developer
> > [11] selinux/v2refpolicy/x86/hardened
> > [12] selinux/v2refpolicy/x86/server
> >
> > Regarding adminstration: I suppose it might be a little easier
> > administration-wise to use a distro that only makes non-security updates
> > available in six-month or one-year periods. But even though Gentoo makes
> > it possible to run software that is only a few weeks old, with all the
> [...]

Find the right PC with Windows 7 and Windows Live.
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/pc-scout/laptop-set-criteria.aspx?cbid=wl&filt=200,2400,10,19,1,3,1,7,50,650,2,12,0,1000&cat=1,2,3,4,5,6&brands=5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16&addf=4,5,9&ocid=PID24727::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_evergreen2:112009