[aklug] Re: Meet an Ubuntu user

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@acsalaska.net>
Date: Thu Sep 24 2009 - 14:02:41 AKDT

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:35:09 -0800
"Shane R. Spencer" <shane@bogomip.com> wrote:

> jonr@destar.net wrote:
> > Quoting Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv>:
> >
> >> I know... On older versions of Ubuntu the network manager had
> >> issues. I never figured out what the "issue" was. The quick
> >> solution for me was a reboot.
> >>
> >> Ubuntu 9.04 seems to have fixed that issue. I just need to
> >> remember that the wireless card can be turned off. Small switch on
> >> the side of my Dell inspiron 1525.
> >>

> > Is Network Manager a frontend for wpa_supplicant?
> >
> > Jon
> >
> Yup. It runs wpa_supplicant and makes little config files in
> temporary directories for it to use. It stores network and passkey
> information in the gnome password manager.
>
> That said. It's really easy to just plain use wpa_supplicant or
> configure it from /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> I don't have network manager on any of my machines.. it's the first
> thing to go when I install a gnome desktop. CPU hungry, slow, it
> waits too long between configuration phases. I dislikes it, a
> not-to-rare sentiment.
>
> - Shane

+1,

I don't use Gnome, but network manager, at least on the Debian User
list, doesn't get much love .I have a vm of debian testing that is
standard, Gnome desktop, the network manager ALWAYS shows the hard
wired connection as disabled. This causes issues with apps that look to
network manager to see if a connection is available.

I can appreciate the attraction of all the auto-magic stuff, but,
every time I have an issue I find my self at the command line, if I had
started there I would have saved all kinds of frustration/time.

I use WindowMaker, setup so I can use the keyboard for most tasks.
Workstations are a different beast than roaming laptops though.

--
Peace
Greg Madden