[aklug] Re: Meet an Ubuntu user

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Thu Sep 24 2009 - 11:35:09 AKDT

jonr@destar.net wrote:
> Quoting Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv>:
>
>> I know... On older versions of Ubuntu the network manager had
>> issues. I never figured out what the "issue" was. The quick solution
>> for me was a reboot.
>>
>> Ubuntu 9.04 seems to have fixed that issue. I just need to remember
>> that the wireless card can be turned off. Small switch on the side
>> of my Dell inspiron 1525.
>>

> Is Network Manager a frontend for wpa_supplicant?
>
> Jon

Yup. It runs wpa_supplicant and makes little config files in temporary
directories for it to use. It stores network and passkey information in
the gnome password manager.

That said. It's really easy to just plain use wpa_supplicant or
configure it from /etc/network/interfaces.

I don't have network manager on any of my machines.. it's the first
thing to go when I install a gnome desktop. CPU hungry, slow, it waits
too long between configuration phases. I dislikes it, a not-to-rare
sentiment.

- Shane

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: OpenPGP digital signature