[aklug] Re: Just Wondering...

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Sun May 10 2009 - 08:47:43 AKDT

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 10:50 PM, Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us> wrote:

> Kinda curious if any of you guys had a theory on this...
>
> Is there any profit behind spam e-mail? Or is it meant purely to annoy
> people?

Send out 1 million emails that hold the potential for $5.00 of profit
if anybody clicks on them and orders the product. If .5% of those
targets order the product (which he didn't even have to sell really,
just formed a neatly packaged spam blaster) then he made oh..

>>> (1000000*0.005) * 5
25000.0

$25 grand?

Sounds like something I'd do every day/every hour/every minute given I
have enough bandwidth and can evade the Internet coppers long enough.
Given I was a complete ***hat.

- Shane