[aklug] Re: Ubuntu 9.04 grub issues

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@acsalaska.net>
Date: Sun Apr 19 2009 - 13:16:37 AKDT

On Saturday 18 April 2009, Scott B. Carnahan wrote:
> I loaded Ubuntu 9.04 in an EXT3 partition under GRUB with XP and U8.04
> running in two other partitions. U8.04 and XP boot without issue, but
> when I try to boot to U9.04 it says that it can not mount the
> partition. I looked at the grub file and the entry for U9.04 looks like
> nothing I have seen. It is not like the U8.04 entry or the XP entry.
>
> Any ideas of what I did wrong and how to fix it? Should I just wait a
> week and get a copy of the final release of U9.04?

Explore the possibility of running 'update-grub' from 8.04 or even a Linux
cd/dvd in rescue mode. Any Linux can write the grub stuff for you. One
caveat that comes to mind: Ubuntu is always changing 'stuff' if 9.04
really requires voodoo syntax in grub, you might not want to do it.

Post your ~grub/menu.lst, I am curious to see what Ubuntu is up to. I have
a spare partition on my workstation and am considering 9.04 , but I fear
Ubuntu's automagic :-)

--
Peace
Greg Madden